Director of Public Relations
The Director of Public Relations will contribute to advancing the institution by enhancing the image and distinctive identity foremost through the media. They will promote the president, university programs, events, faculty expertise, and student achievements to the local, regional, and national media, and to other internal and external audiences.
Reporting to the vice president of advancement, the director works directly and creatively with the president, faculty and administrators to help communicate the institution’s mission and identity by providing news and information through verbal, written and electronic communications, and works to continually establish and maintain relationships with media.
The director will:
- Develop overall key message points to solidify the institution’s reputation in the media
- Research and develop story ideas for external press through meetings with president, administrators, faculty, staff, and students on all campuses
- Develop and maintain wide list of media contacts
- Write press releases and pitch stories to external press
- Respond to incoming media calls by providing timely and accurate information
- Attend institution events and serve as liaison to the media
- Develop faculty experts to respond to media
- Be available to work with crisis team to prepare statements and field press calls when warranted
Seeking a creative, results-orientated, communications professional with bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or related field; masters preferred; 10 years+ experience in media relations or public relations; excellent writing, editing, and interpersonal skills; an understanding of higher education issues; the ability to work successfully on multiple projects; the ability to work as part of team; and the capacity to perform effectively under pressure.
Do you or someone you know fit the bill?
Let us know if you or someone you know would like to apply for this job by filling out the form below.